Deadline: April 8, 2019
SAW Video Media Art Centre is currently seeking candidates who are passionate about its mandate and history, and excited to offer leadership, insight and fundraising support as members of the Board of Directors. Board positions are for 3-year terms.
SAW Video is a not-for-profit, artist-run media art centre that fosters the growth and development of artists through access to equipment, training, mentorship, and programming. Our mission is to support a diverse community of media artists empowered by technology, programming and the exchange of ideas.
SAW Video is currently seeking to fill three positions on its Board of Directors.
SAW Video Board of Directors – Role + Responsibilities
The Board of Directors provides strategic leadership and ensures effective governance of the organization by developing and overseeing the vision, mission, strategic direction, and values of SAW Video; ensuring the development of, and adherence to, policies that guide staff in organizational operations; fundraising and exercising fiduciary responsibility to ensure financial viability and sustainability.
The general duties and responsibilities of Board members, including officers, are to:
- Determine the organization’s vision, mission and mandate;
- Guide the organization on the road to achieving the vision, mission and mandate;
- Represent the members and act as trustees in the public interest;
- Members are required to attend all board meetings. Board meetings are currently held every 2 months on the last Monday from 6pm to 8pm. Board members must read the material provided before each meeting (minutes, agenda) and pass on any items to be added to the agenda to the Secretary in a timely manner. Board members who miss three consecutive board meetings shall be deemed to have resigned from office;
- Board members are asked to sit on at least one committee. Time commitment to said committees may fluctuate between approximately 5-15 hours/month. Committees currently include Governance, Fundraising, HR, Programming, Executive, with subcommittee creation where needed;
- Members are expected to attend or participate in at least four events a year;
- All members are required to prepare for and attend the Annual General Meeting;
- Recruit and hire senior management;
- Support the staff and review performance;
- Ensure effective organizational planning;
- Ensure adequate resources, participate in fundraising projects and other development initiatives;
- Collectively ensure effective planning and management of financial and other resources;
- Determine, monitor, and review the organization’s programs, policies and services;
- Enhance the organization’s public image;
- Engage in an assessment process of its own performance;
- Represent the organization publicly when required;
- Maintain confidentiality of financial and other sensitive organizational issues.
If you’re interested in joining our Board, please send a letter of intent outlining your experience and interest in SAW Video, along with a 1-2 page CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn Renuka Bauri, Board Secretary, by April 8, 2019.